Wednesday, August 21, 2013

How to Write a Song

Songwriting is a skill that is easily obtainable by anyone wanting to learn. Writing a song has one very basic point: write down everything you think about.

Back when I was in high school and writing a lot, especially for speech competitions, I had a coach once tell me “I want you to vomit words onto the page.” I gave her a disgusted look, until she explained what she meant. She wanted me to write down everything I thought of -- every word, phrase, sentence, sight, smell, etc.

Granted, that was for writing informative and entertainment speeches. But the same technique can easily be applied to songwriting!

Your list can be organized and complete, like this:



Or it might end up being a bit all over the page, like this:



The thing to remember is you have to just do whatever works best for YOU. Do you like organization and making lists? Then the list option of “word vomit” will probably be beneficial. If you don’t care for organization or would rather the activity seem less like homework, then drawing and doodling words all over the page might be more helpful. Again, just do whatever works best for you. If you have a different way than these two methods, that’s great, too!

The next step is picking out your favorites. And the best part about songwriting and coming up with lyrics?

It’s absolutely 100% subjective.

This means that it doesn't have to make any sort of sense to anyone but you. And even then, that’s completely up to you! If you want to write a chorus to a song that’s something like:

Computers, games, that’s my jam.
Come on snowman, see me as I am.
Love my friends and going to the park.
My cat’s name is Chopin, and he loves to bark!

THEN GO FOR IT! Songwriting is so subjective, regardless of what “professionals” might think. If you write something and put music behind it, it’s your song. (Also, it doesn't have to rhyme at all, that’s just one of my personal songwriting habits.)

Songwriting, when looked at in its most basic form, is an extremely simple skill. Anyone can do it. So pick up a pencil (or pen, marker, crayon, etc.) and some paper, and get down to it! And if you’d like, let us know what you or your child writes by sharing in the comments section. Though anything inappropriate will be deleted! Songwriting may be subjective, but this is still a public blog and we’d like to keep things age friendly around here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment