Saturday, November 1, 2014

Instructor Spotlight

Katie Morris


Originally from the small town of Utica, NE, Katie Morris grew up in a musical home. Her mother played piano and encouraged singing around the house, and even influenced Katie’s decision to play the flute. (She wanted to play the French horn instead!) From a young age, Katie has come to value music education for its ability to teach the importance of hard work and other life skills. “To help students realize what they can accomplish in music and life is what makes teaching worth it,” she says.

Before the move to Lincoln and coming to Harris Academy of the Arts, Katie completed a degree in music education from Doane College in Crete, NE and then taught K-12 vocal music for Plainview Public Schools. Now, she has a long line of teaching duties at Harris: voice, flute, piano, Kindermusik, Treble Maker Show Choir, and Children’s Music Academy.

When she isn’t teaching, Katie loves to spend as much time as she can with her husband and family. Her love and ability for cultivating relationships flows into the lesson room where she strives to build close connections with her students. Seeing her students accomplish their goals in lessons is one of the best parts of her job. “It makes my heart happy to see all my students succeed.”

Read Katie's Bio >>


More About Katie:

How long have you played your instrument?
I have played piano and sang since I can remember. I began playing flute in 5th grade so 12 years?

How did you get started playing your instrument?
My mom is a piano player and was always making me sing around the house and for home videos.
She played the flute also and encouraged me to play it even though I had already planned on playing the French horn! She played flute songs all over the house and eventually I gave in. I am very glad. 

What is a little known fact about you? 
I had braces from 3rd grade until I was a junior in high school. I learned to play the flute with braces on and had to relearn quite a bit once I got them off!

What is your favorite kind of music?
I like any music that is going to make me feel something! A good beat, thoughtful lyrics, emotional instruments –anything like that.

What is your favorite food?
Mashed potatoes and peanut butter… but not together!

Do you have a fun or inspiring story to share about teaching lessons?
I just love it when a student understands something they have been working so hard to obtain! [Something like] a hard rhythm or a vocal technique. It makes my heart happy to see all my students succeed. I had a student last year who didn’t really know she could sing. By the end of the year she sang a solo at our final concert. To help students realize what they can accomplish in music and life is what makes teaching worth it.

What is one of your favorite recital or performance memories?
At my junior recital in college I was so nervous I skipped a whole verse of one of my songs! My accompanist just stayed right with me, though, and no one knew! He is the best and we worked together enough that he knew what to do. Everyone one makes mistakes and I felt awful after it happened, but when I realized that no one noticed and that my partner and I still got a standing ovation at the end… I realized a little mistake does not mean the end of the world.

Katie with husband, Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment