Thursday, February 5, 2015

Instructor Spotlight

Lee Heerspink



Lee Heerspink has had his share of both life and musical experiences prior to joining the Harris teaching staff. After getting his music education degree he went on to study jazz performance for his master’s degree. From there, after a few years of private teaching and performing, he was placed in the US Air Force Heartland of America Band in Omaha, NE where he had the opportunity to boost the morale of troops both near and far.

Lee recalls a moment during his time with the US Air Force Band when he played at the bedside of a wounded soldier in Afghanistan. “One of my favorite performances,” Lee shares, “was playing an acoustic version of “Knee Deep” by the Zac Brown Band for a wounded warrior at the hospital in Kandahar, Afghanistan. We asked what he wanted us to play, he said “anything.” He smiled as we quietly sang and gave him a short bedside concert.”

Now, Lee shares his love of music in a different way, by connecting with students in private lessons. At Harris, Lee teaches guitar, bass guitar, and string bass. One of his main goals, right along with the nitty gritty technique and determination with learning any instrument, is to make learning music fun and enjoyable. We hope you’ll enjoy getting to know yet another of Harris’ fine music teachers.

Read Lee’s Bio


More About Lee:

What is your main instrument?
My main instrument is the guitar!

How long have you played your instrument?
I’ve played for close to 20 years (wow that’s scary, I’m having a moment…)

How did you get started playing your instrument?
I spent my first 8 years playing classical piano. I had a wonderful piano teacher, but once I got to middle school I began listening to rock n’ roll and more contemporary music. My dad suggested that maybe I should try guitar lessons, so I made the switch and never really looked back!

Do you play any other instruments?
Piano, voice, upright and electric bass

What is your favorite kind of music?
I love jazz! I’m a huge fan of the guitarist Pat Metheny, and spend quite a bit of time playing and analyzing his solos. That being said, I also have a soft spot in my heart for playing rock and popular music because it’s what got me into playing guitar in the first place!

Do you have a fun or inspiring story to share about teaching lessons?
I used to encourage my younger students in Michigan to practice with the help of candy. I’ll never forget when one of my students, Simon, found out that I had an ENTIRE drawer dedicated to just candy. His eyes got as big as saucers! #mindblown

What is your hometown?
Holland, MI

What other hobbies do you have besides music?
Making dinner with my wife Bethany, walking my English bulldog Edward, and playing video games!

What is your favorite food?
I could eat stir fry every day of the week.

What do you think is the best movie of all time?
Back to the Future. There’s no question.

What is your favorite quote?
“You’ve got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.”
-Charlie Parker

What is a little known fact about you?
I was in show choir in High School and loved it! We had a wonderful director named Kerry Daab, and he made it so much fun. Somewhere there are videos floating around of my dancing and jazz hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment