Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Student of the Month


Violet Kirk


When she was younger, Violet Kirk wanted to be a nun or an opera singer, aspirations she attributes to The Sound of Music. While neither dream has been realized today, she has found her niche in Lincoln area community theatre, and voice lessons at Harris Academy of the Arts with instructor Jeff Kuhl.

"Violet has that natural instinct in bringing her beautiful characters to life, enhancing them with her rich voice,” shares Jeff.  “It's a joy to listen and be part of her discovery. Bravo!" Together, the student teacher duo has been working to add the elements to each song that make them come alive. You can watch the video below for just a snippet of the creativity and detail that goes into telling a story with a song.

In addition to her musical endeavors, Violet is a wife, mom to two little girls, and an employee of the Nebraska Press Association. We’re privileged to be a place that she makes time to visit weekly, even with her busy schedule. Learn more about this impressive Student of the Month below!

More About Violet:

What other instrument(s) do you play?
Piano, French horn

How long have you taken lessons?
1.5 years

What are your goals with music lessons?
I spent high school and college focusing on instrumental music, but singing always seemed so natural and fun. When I decided to start auditioning for community theater here in Lincoln, I started taking voice lessons to become a more confident and polished singer.

What are your favorite songs to sing?
I’m a terrible person to invite to karaoke night, because the only things I sing are a) show tunes and b) hymns — neither of which are popular choices for standard karaoke. It would be impossible to choose my favorite show tune, but my favorite hymn is “The Old Rugged Cross”.

What is something new and exciting you have learned in lessons lately?
I’ve been learning how to tell stories with songs and I love the ability to give each piece its own flavor and style.

What is one of your favorite recital or performance memories?
I really enjoyed singing “I Don’t Know What I’d Do Without You” from A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder (fall 2014). It was such a fun, bouncy piece to sing!
I’ve found a cozy little theater home at The Stage Theater in Hickman, and some of my favorite roles there were Meg in Little Women and Jacqueline in Don’t Dress For Dinner.

What is your occupation? Tell us a little bit about what you do.
I work for the Nebraska Press Association, which is the trade organization for Nebraska’s newspapers. I work with advertisers to coordinate ad buys in newspapers, both statewide and nationally.

What other hobbies do you have besides music?
I’m a mother to two little girls, so lately my favorite hobby has been playing “princess superhero”. When I’m not doing that, I like to thrift shop, refinish old furniture and read as much as I can.

What is your favorite food?
Spaghetti from Valentino’s  — I’d eat it every day!
Coffee (not technically a food, but it’s definitely my favorite!)

What do you think is the best movie of all time? 
Ooo … tough question! A few of my favorites are Waiting for Guffman, Strictly Ballroom and Inception.

What is a book everyone should read? 
The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
All the Money in the World by Laura Vanderkam
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
(I know it’s not one book … but trust me when I say this is the abbreviated list. I love to read!)

What is your favorite quote?
“As long as we live, there is never enough singing”
-Martin Luther

What is a little known fact about you?
When I was little, I wanted to be either a nun or an opera singer, maybe both. I’m guessing watching “The Sound of Music” had something to do with that …


No comments:

Post a Comment