Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Instructor Spotlight

Sherri Brouillette



Sherri’s spunky personality and sense of humor are welcome additions to Harris Academy of the Arts. She teaches flute, beginning woodwinds, Children’s Music Academy, beginning piano, and the Ukulele Workshop, growing more and more popular. As Sherri says, “nobody can be grumpy while holding a ukulele!”

Although Sherri’s primary instrument is flute, she originally thought she was going to play violin. “But my mother brought home a flute one day,” Sherri says. “When I tried to play it I couldn’t make a sound on it. I was really frustrated with the instrument because of that, but I kept trying. It took me two to three weeks after that to finally get a sound and I went from there.” And she’s played it for 27 years!

This semester, Sherri is student teaching at North Star High School with Rob Salistean. She is gaining experience in orchestra, marching band, wind symphony, and concert band, as well as coaching students for all-state. Once completed, she will earn her post baccalaureate teacher certification in music education from the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. Then, look for Sherri at a music classroom near you!



More about Sherri:

What is your hometown?
Lincoln, NE

Do you have any good stories about where you grew up?
When my sister and I were in middle school, she would play rap music so loudly that it shook the walls of my room next door. I would get her back by playing the really high notes on my flute as loud as I possibly could. This would last until we couldn’t take it anymore, or until her rap song was over.

What is your favorite kind of music?
Indie rock, jazz, and classical.

What other hobbies do you have besides music?
I love to travel and have lived abroad. I also like to cook, read and visit art galleries.

What is your favorite food?
Macaroni and cheese

Do you have a fun or inspiring story to share about teaching lessons?
I’m really enjoying my ukulele class right now. It’s an instrument that pretty much everyone can learn to play. During class, everyone is having fun and has a smile on their face. Nobody can be grumpy while holding a ukulele! It’s just not possible.

What is one of your favorite recital or performance memories?
Playing piccolo with the Western Michigan University chamber orchestra during our performance of Ravel’s Mother Goose Suite. I also love to play in the pit orchestra for musicals and have played in Oklahoma!, Pirates of Penzance, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Music Man, and Man of La Mancha, amongst others.

Do you know any good jokes? 
What do you call a fake noodle?
An impasta. 

What did the llama say when he got kicked off the farm?
Alpaca my bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment